The John F. Kennedy Assassination Homepage


  » Introduction
  » The Report
  » The Hearings


  » Table of Contents
  » Page Index
  » Letter of Transmittal
  » Foreword
  » Chapter 1
  » Chapter 2
  » Chapter 3
  » Chapter 4
  » Chapter 5
  » Chapter 6
  » Chapter 7
  » Chapter 8
  » Appendix I
  » Appendix II
  » Appendix III
  » Appendix IV
  » Appendix V
  » Appendix VI
  » Appendix VII
  » Appendix VIII
  » Appendix IX
  » Appendix X
  » Appendix XI
  » Appendix XII
  » Appendix XIII
  » Appendix XIV
  » Appendix XV
  » Appendix XVI
  » Appendix XVII
  » Appendix XVIII
Warren Commission Report: Page 671« Previous | Next »

(APPENDIX XIII - Biography of Lee Harvey Oswald)

same house as the Oswalds.58 Lee evidently did not get along with Mrs. Roach who told the next occupant of the house that Lee was a bad, unmanageable child who threw his toy gun at her.59 Apparently referring to the Roaches, Mrs. Oswald testified that she had once hired a couple to care for Lee; the couple neglected him, so she "put them out" and cared for Lee herself until Mrs. Murret was able to help her again. 60 Soon after the incident with the Roaches, Mrs. Oswald moved again,61 this time to 111 Sherwood Forest Drive, near the Murrets. 62

Mrs. Murret took care of Lee for several months longer. Near Lee's third birthday, Mrs. Oswald again inquired about his admission into the Bethlehem Children's Home, 63 perhaps because a disagreement with her sister made it impossible to leave him with her any longer.64 He was admitted on December 26.65 On his application, Mrs. Oswald agreed to contribute $10 per month and to supply shoes and clothing, as for the other boys. 66

Lee remained in the home for about 13 months, but according to John's testimony, left on several occasions to spend short periods of time with his mother or the Murrets. 67 John and Robert have pleasant memories of the home,68 which apparently gave the children a good deal of freedom.69 Robert described it as nondenominational but having "a Christian atmosphere"; "it might have been just a Protestant home." 70 Mrs. Oswald visited them regularly, 71 and they occasionally left the home to visit her or the Murrets.72

In July 1943, Mrs. Oswald was hired to manage a small hosiery store.73 This is probably the store to which she referred in her testimony as the "Princess Hosiery Shop on Canal Street," at which, she testified, she was left by herself and "in 6 days' time * * * hired four girls." 74 Her employer remembers her as a neat, attractive, and hardworking woman, an aggressive person who would make a good manager. 75 She was not good with figures, however, and after several months he discharged her. 76 At about this same time, she met Edwin A. Ekdahl, an electrical engineer older than herself, who was originally from Boston but was then working in the area. 77 They saw each other often. Ekdahl met the boys 78 and, according to John's testimony, on at least one occasion, they all spent a weekend at a summer resort area in Covington, La. 79

By January 1944, Mrs. Oswald and Ekdahl had decided to marry.80 She withdrew Lee from the Children's Home 81 and moved with him to Dallas, where Ekdahl expected to be located. 82 They planned to postpone the marriage until the end of the school year so that the older boys could complete the year at the home before they left it.83 In the meantime, she would care for Ekdahl,84 who was recovering from a serious illness, probably a heart attack. 85 Mrs. Oswald has testified that when she arrived in Dallas, she decided that she did not want to marry Ekdahl after all.86 Using part of the proceeds from the sale of the Alvar Street house,87 she purchased a house at 4801 Victor Street,88 a portion of which she rented. 89 In June, John and Robert left the Children's Home and joined their mother in

« Previous | Next »

Found a Typo?

Click here
Copyright by www.jfk-assassination.comLast Update: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 21:56:36 CET